Good morning, Cedar Park-Leander! I’m here in your inbox this morning to get you up to speed on everything you need to know about what’s going on around town. Let’s have at it.
First, today’s weather:
Hot with plenty of sunshine. High: 102 Low: 72.
👀 Attention local businesses & marketers: Attract more customers in Cedar Park-Leander by sponsoring this daily newsletter, which gets read by the same people you’re trying to reach. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top three stories today in Cedar Park-Leander:
- A man was shot and killed at a North Austin motel by a Leander police officer on Tuesday morning. The encounter occurred while executing a search warrant as part of a narcotics investigation. The shooting was the first-ever in Leander Police Department’s 44-year history and questions still remain about the shooting. (Austin Chronicle)
- A free park-and-ride shuttle service – provided by Austin Parks and Recreation – to Zilker Park is now offered every 20 minutes on weekends throughout the summer. The shuttle will operate to and from One Texas Center parking garage starting this Saturday during the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (Austin Chronicle)
- “I Am [REDACTED]” by 16-year-old Fayte Le has been recognized as a runner-up for the Ninth Annual Student Editorial Contest by The New York Times. Le is a Vista Ridge High School student. (The New York Times)
From our sponsor:
Are you a Cedar Park-Leander resident looking for an investment alternative to the stock market?
Bloomberg recently asked experts where they’d invest $100,000 right now, and many of them had the same answer: fine art.
Thinking you can’t afford a Picasso? Well in 2012, Congress passed the JOBS Act, which allowed for the securitization of artwork. A company called Masterworks.io built the largest platform for buying and selling art securities. In the past, you could only buy shares of companies like Apple, but with this investing app, you can unlock this powerful investment.
Meaning, you can invest in shares of million-dollar artwork. And in uncertain times, it turns out, fine art may be a wise investment. Here’s why:
- Low correlation to stocks according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically returns 23.2% when inflation is >3%
- Contemporary art prices outpaced the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
To learn more, visit Masterworks.io, where Cedar Park-Leander Daily readers can skip the waitlist.
See important Reg A Disclosures
Today in Cedar Park-Leander:
- Grab and Go Preschool Craft at Cedar Park Public Library (All Day)
- Women’s Connection at Blue Corn Harvest Bar & Restaurant (8:30 AM)
- Scholastic Book Fair at Cedar Park Library Conference Room (9:00 AM)
From my notebook:
- Ellard is looking for his fur-ever home! The 8-year-old blonde Frenchie is at the Austin Bulldog Rescue waiting for you to come meet him. (Austin Bulldog Rescue via Facebook)
- Education and Careers for America, along with the Indian and Jewish communities of Austin, are hosting an education fundraiser. The proceeds will help homeless children and low-income households have basic supplies and a well-stocked backpack for school. (Education and Careers for America via Facebook)
- Head to Cedar Park Library’s back lawn at 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jun. 25 for an interactive screening of the ’80s classic film, Labyrinth. (Cedar Park Public Library via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today! I’ll see you soon.
— Rose Mendez
About me: Rose Mendez is a freelance writer. She is studying English Literature at Hunter College. She loves reading, walking around the city, and coffee!